John,

When it comes to gold, the thing to remember is that the server is
adaptive - gold shifts around from place to place, and if any one area
is run for gold too much the amount of gold in it automatically drops.

There are a couple of articles on the Alter Aeon web site that talk
about gold.  The first article might be able to give you ideas on
things to try; the second article is much more technical, and talks
about how the server manages gold internally:

http://www.alteraeon.com/articles/how_do_i_get_gold.html

http://www.alteraeon.com/articles/gold-balancing-in-mmos.html

Generally when I play, I don't bother to gold farm.  For me, it's more
fun to sell equipment on auction and trade with other players and let
them farm the gold.  Not everyone likes to do that though, and it
takes both sides.

Good luck!

Dennis Towne

Alter Aeon MUD