Hi Jim,

Right.I certainly hope Marci and whoever else is involved doesn't
expect the developer to have read the Abby Diamond books in advance as
I have never heard of them until the subject came up on list. So I
think one thing that needs to be made clear to them if they want us to
create a game like that series they'll have to provide either us with
e-books or audio versions of them just to get an insight into the
characters and plot.

As for the commission angle its always harder to program something
that isn't  your own idea.  As has been already mentioned usually the
ideas are drawn up by a non-programmer and then you have to work with
them to reshape that original idea into something both technically
possible and will satisfy the client. So it does sometimes involve a
lot of back and forth until both sides agree on an outline for the
project. That's where all that outlining and pseudo code comes in
handy they teach programming students in tech school.

With a project like this you really do need to take notes, write up an
outline of each level, description of each and every character, each
and every place, and have something you can show the client to correct
or make comments on before you start.  Pseudo coding the app will give
you a rough idea of the program flow, functions, variables, etc so
once you get the pseudo code correct you can quickly assemble the
program in the target language. That's how I would approach this
commission.