Other tips: walking appears to be stealthier than running.  The command to
switch back and forth is shift-w.  Even though the loudness of your sound
doesn't change, I've been able to get very close to entire rivers of zombies
such as the ones that flow down Carrigan Avenue without being discovered.

If you run out of ammo in a given weapon and you've got a baddie closing on
you, switch to the axe, as it is ready to use more quickly than any other
weapon.  But don't be hesitant to run like hell to give yourself distance.
In the multi-player game, it's rare to be chased by more than a couple of
zombies, so if you can get sufficient space to reload (which you can do on
the run with all but the large weapons) you can turn, aim and take at least
one down, then run again.

As in real life, take time to aim your shots.  Even when zombies are closing
on you, you generally have more time than you think.  Make each shot count,
not just because of limited ammo, but because better aimed shots do more
damage.  Squeeze off your shots one at a time if you can, so that when the
bugger dies, you don't waste shots.

When leaving the safe zone, I almost always circle around to the north.
North of the zone seems to be fairly safe, and if you're newly shorn of
ammo, you have a better chance of finding something to help you before
encountering a mass of dead flesh.

        Chris Bartlett