So for all those who haven't been all that into fighting games, or those who
recently joined the sceen, or even those who have been playing them for a long
time... this is a great read. Just shows you how much is really behind these
games. I know a lot of people disregard Street Fighter, Tekken, etc as being
simple, and fighting games don't have much behind them. Here's an article that
gives a glimpse as to just how much of a story there is behind them.
http://www.gamernode.com/knock-out-gamernodes-complete-history-of-fighting-games/
Having read all this, let me say tfor all those who've been keeping track of
posts to the lists about fighters and hearing about all these complex things,
it isn't necessary to spend all your time with fighting games  to get good... a
lot of people play these for fun. If you get a fighting game, it doesn't mean
you have to spend hundreds of hours learning every single mechanic... unless
you want to be a tournament-level player. I know that I play fighters almost
exclusively, other than Rock band and the occasional hack and slash, but I
don't go research how many frames of animation an attack takes to come out... I
take them more seriously than some people, but only because I find a lot to do
with my brain when it comes to fighters. Well, that and so whenever I get to
play Yohandy I don't get my rear end handed to me. :P Enjoy the read!