For me, I tend not to use the rapid fire unless I'm being absolutely swarmed by
zombies.  The moment I hear a few bullets impact the stronger zombies, I know
it will take far too many shots just to kill them and that's without even
shooting at all the others who are yet to be identified.  These are the times
I'll switch to burst and do as much damage as I can.  I completely agree that
burst mode against weak zombies is a quick way to waste ammo, but it's also the
fastest way to take down the really strong ones.  I guess that just makes it
better based on the situation, which is good because it lets players have a
reason to switch.