Hi Dark,

Yeah, I know it is unfair, but its because of their SMA polacy.
Basically, Freedom Scientific charges $150 for a SMA agreement which
gives you three releases for a flat rate of $50 for standard and a pro
costs like $300 for three releases at $100. Either way if you keep the
SMA up to date you'll accumulate the cost of a new version of Jaws
over several upgrades rather than one lump sum which I suppose is
fair.

However, the reason Freedom Scientific sticks you with the full cost
if you are not on a SMA plan or haven't kept it up to date is to
recoop all the money you didn't spend on the upgrades between version
x and version y. For example, if a person purchased Jaws 4.02 and kept
there SMA up to date until Jaws 13 they would have paid in $450 for
standard upgrades and $900 for pro upgrades.I guess they feel
upgrading directly from Jaws 4.02 to Jaws 13 shouldn't cost the user a
flat rate like $150 since other customers have invested more money
into the product keeping the company and the product going. Therefore
after so many missed upgrades the old license is nul and void and you
have ot get a new one to upgrade or get on an SMA plan.

Cheers!