Hi Willem,

Yes, that is pretty much what I was thinking of doing. C# .NET is a
great beginners language, and SlimDX does need some .NET documentation
and code examples as pointing people to the C++ DirectX  documentation
doesn't work for new beginners just learning to program games.

I was fortunate that I knew both languages so that I could look at the
C++ code examples and figure out what I had to do in C# .NET and could
translate that to Visual Basic .NET as well. That would be a big help
for potential .NET developers. Which brings me to a point you brought
up in your message.

I was not considering writing up any documentation for Visual Basic 6.
I feel that the language is passed its prime and we as developers need
to move on. So when I say Visual Basic or VB I'm talking about
something like Visual Basic 2010 and .NET 4.0. That's a different
subject altogether.

In terms of programming languages I plan to do language tutorials,
write sample code, and write API documentation if necessary for the
top four or five languages that are industry standards. That would
include C++, Java, C# .NET, Python, and VB .NET. I'm not going to do
tutorials for things like AutoIt and Javascript simply because I don't
think they are appropriate for game programming. Other languages like
Perl, Ruby, etc probably aren't that good for game programming either.
Although, I've heard of an SDL binding for Perl that makes it possible
for writing games. Microsoft's Visual J# is apparently some sort of
.NET clone of Java, but its so off the wall I haven't met a developer
who knows and uses it so documenting the language is a waste of time.
Visual Basic 6, as I mentioned above, is passed its prime and I
wouldn't recommend it to a developer wishing to write games for
Windows 7 and Windows 8. VB 2010 is a better solution in that case.

As far as general programming design goes you are correct. There are a
lot of generic concepts that need to be covered. Especially, in terms
of math because if someone hasn't had geometry, trigonometry, or
calculus they may have difficulty  designing a game simply because
lack of skills in non-programming related areas. Even in programming
areas such as artificial intelligence, colision detection, etc pretty
much require a discussion of their own.

Cheers!