Hi Michael,

Yes, that makes sense. You aren't actually asking for an exact remake of the 1982 Atari game, but simply a modern game based on E.T. That makes things much easier for the developer who ends up doing the project.

However, I still see one major complication here. I've managed to find our copy of E.T. and watched the movie today, and the storyline isn't really game material. What I mean by that is the movie isn't an action film by any sense of the word, and the majority of the film is spent with Elliot playing with E.T., Elliot's sister teaching E.T. to talk, and other pretty boring stuff for a game. In other words up until the end of the movie where Elliot helps sneak E.T. out of the hospital, and helps him return to the forest to meet the rescue ship there is nothing that I would consider suitable for a game. So I'd be interested to here your thoughts on how I or anyone else as a developer could create a game that would be interesting, have replay value, without compromising the basic story.

Looking back on it I believe Atari had the same problem when they created their game. There just wasn't much of a storyline that a game could be based on so ended up creating a game that really had no relationship to the movie. In the Atari game E.T. flew left, right, up, and down collecting pieces of candy, and would find pieces of his telephone in the bottom of various wells around the level. Meanwhile he was being chased by a scientist and a federal agent. The game ended up being pretty stupid, and made no sense. Now, I know why.

If we wanted a game more like the movie there really isn't anything a developer could do but to essentially rewrite the E.T. story from scratch. Maybe start out in the forest with federal agents chasing E.T. Perhaps a level in Elliot's house where he has to avoid Elliot's mother while grabbing candy, pieces of his phone, etc. Perhaps another level where E.T.must escape the hospital, and finally another forest level where E.T. must get to the landing sight in time to make it home. That's about the best someone could do under the circumstances. Since E.T. is a passive character he would have to run or fly away from danger rather than be able to attack enemy characters or traps. Kind of boring from my point of view.