Charles you ask quite a technical answer.
Firstly teamtalk at www.bearware.dk is quite a good system to use.
the servers onj2.andrelouis.com and onj3.andrelouis.com have good chanels.
they are british hosted servers though.
You may at times have delays but mostly they work in new zealand quite well.
As ofr soundcards.
you will need at least 2 cards.
The first card is for your speech, you need that.
and windows sounds.
you could probably have game related stuff and other junk on the other maybe even 3 would be needed.
There is software called vertual cable but never invested in it.
so your internal card and  another or so.
I have a usb headset which does the chatting I do, as it cuts out on bus noise and the like being its a seperate hardware device.
Leaving your system to handle stuff.
the only thing is you will need to send speech to the earphones or well not sure you can have splitters to hear your gameplay etc but even then.
You would need some sort of mixer then it gets complex.
Your best bet is to get a crappy analog sound card if you can find one at all since that will most sertainly be able to run the mic at the same time as you record.
SOme of the cheap crappy realtech cards may help to but not via.
Is this stuff for active recording or static.
if its active being in a chat room, then you may have to spend some major cash to get that sorted. without recording though you probably could play stuff in a chat as long as you had a mixer or 2 units, one for chatting and 1 for gaming logged on as different user units. If you are doing a static meaning recording game and speech you can do it in a couple ways.
1.  you can record the game and speech on your card assuming it supports this.
2. you can record with a digital recorder and speakers the game and speech but you will get backgrounds and relitive positions of speakers only.
The other way you can do it is to cheat.
Record the game in the computer and record your speech whle playing on a recorder. making sure enough pauses are in there to line up with gameplay, I only got this once.
then all you need to do is tweak volumes of both files and merge them.
then tweak the merged volume.
I once got a review of a comanche game I put for a podcast someone gave me a file in 2 bits done this way.
it took a while to do.
you need to decompress a file to wav before you can edit it right then you need to use something sound recorder to screw round with the file.
then audacity to bind the file.
finally you need to use winlame to recode the  file then reupload it.
This process is ok for the ocational project but not for something like a big file.
or anything continous.
Another way is something that in theory should work.
have something like shoutcast or odcast output a broadcast archive locally and not connect to a server.
then it records everything your card does.
however I have not tried this and am not in the position to do that.
you could manage that way but still be limited by the card things.