Hi Dark,

Believe me I know exactly how you feel about access and copyright
laws. I've had to put up with access issues with certain printed books
and materials here in the US even though the laws here are pretty
flexible regarding distributing printed materials in accessible
formats. Still, there are cases, such as roll playing game source
books, where its not always easy to get them in an accessible format
because APH, NLS, and Learning Alley don't do roll playing game guides
and source books. I found that out the hard way.

I remember a few years ago back when the New Jedi Order was still
coming out in paperback naturally Wizards of the Coast followed suit
by releasing an expansion to the Star Wars roll playing game by
putting out two very thick books on the New Jedi Order. There was the
New Jedi Order Source Book which I needed because it included updated
stats for main characters like Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade, Kip Duron,
Jason and Jana Solo, etc. Plus all the new information on the YUUzhan
Vong weapons, ships, etc. Then, there was the New Jedi Order Campaign
Guide   which had several prewritten campaigns to play. While I didn't
specifically need the Campaign Guide, seeing as I had read all the
books as they came out, it still was going to be helpful in getting
into the NJO universe. I certainly didn't want to scan all that stuff
so I called up my local NLS library.

I asked the librarian about the two books, she looked it up on their
computer, and told me they weren't available. Then, she proceeded to
list all the New Jedi Order books on tape which wasn't what I wanted.
I didn't want the novels but the game books, and as it turned out they
didn't have any Star Wars roll playing game source books at all. All
they had was the novels.

Well, then I called up Learning Alley, formally RFB&D, and got the
same response. They didn't have them, but if I wanted to send them two
copies of the books one of their readers could read it onto tape. Now,
I'm not sure why they need two copies of the book, but instead of
buying two books I'd have to buy four books, two copies of each, just
to have Learning Alley put them on audio tape. It was cheaper just to
buy the books and scan them myself. Which is exactly what I'm going to
do.

As far as drivethrurpg.com I've checked and they don't have any of the
Star Wars source books. However, that doesn't mean that Amazon or
somewhere else doesn't have some of them in epub or pdf format. I'd
have to check that out before I start scanning like a mad man and make
them available on my website.

Anyway, what I'm basically doing now is seeing if there is a legal way
to distribute them. I'm pretty sure there is given that Bookshare, the
NLS, APH, Learning Alley, etc can redistribute any book to blind and
low vision citizens of the USA in some accessible format. However, as
I understand the US copyright laws it has to be in a proprietary or
specialized format only accessible to the blind and not sighted users.

For example, books from the NLS are recorded at a slower spead and
they create four tracks by recording in mono, one track in the left
channel and the other in the right channel,  which requires a special
player to play. Therefore while it uses a common technology like audio
tape it is done in such a way that only someone with the right kind of
tape player can use it.

Now, in the digital age places like Bookshare, Learning Alley, and NLS
have adopted Daisy as the special format for e-books. Apparently using
formats like html, text, pdf, etc aren't proprietary enough for the
copyright laws so they have designed an electronic format just for
blind materials. As long as I redistribute them in Daisy I should
probably be alright as far as US copyright law goes.

However, you did give me a good idea. One way to protect myself is to
simply zip the scanned files, put a password on it, and will send
people the password upon request rather than using Daisy. That might
work because in order to join Learning Alley, Bookshare, or the NLS
you have to supply some proof of blindness. While I wouldn't be that
strict I could at least insure that the people who get the books
belong to Audyssey or the Audiogames.net forum which should satisfy
the publishers I'm not just handing them out to anyone and am trying
to regulate who does and does not get them.

Cheers!