Hi Thomas,
That might be true for books or music.
What I never got was the why all things had to be limited.
For example, one of my friends bought the complete Outlander Series (at that
time six books) as an audiobook series on a few MP3 CDs.
They didn't use DVD discs at that time except for movies in Germany.
That was around 2006.
Other media like DVDs or Blu Ray discs have more storage capacity than your
average CD ROM, but the only thing they are used for is either games or HD
movies or TV shows.
But you also could store a high quality (lossless) music archive on such a
disc and sell that.
But apparently no one is thinking of that.
But it seems to be easier to cry for help because "pirates are the cause for
not getting enough money".
But one reason why people might use file sharing services could be that
prices for audiobooks or music have been rising (at least in Germany), or
because lots of music from smaller labels can't be found on Amazon, or
Itunes.
Or the other problem someone might encounter is that your favorite book or
CD is no longer on sale in your favorite store or onlineshop.

And when it comes to games (mainstream), I still can't get, why so many games have to be released for one platform only. While it might be expensive to get awhatever library or tool set to program for game consoles, once you have said tools, you can rdevelop your product and release it. And theoretically you don't need to edit content for porting the product to another platform, but you would have to change your code. But if you released one platform version first and if your title was a success, you could use the gained money to cover cost of porting, if you didn't start cross platform from the very beginning. And if the console creators or apple set high quality standards the games have to follow before release is allowed, then that should be no problem for a PC (Windows or Linux) release, because your content and basic game play mechanics follow the required standards at the release date, because they wouldn't get out if they weren't...

And while we are at it, I still don't get, why several games get expansion packs, or some other downloadable content exclusive to platform x while platform y users get something different. I heard some rumors that Mass Effect 3 and Max Payne 3 are getting some downloadable content. But since the PC version of Max Payne 3 is to come out somewhere around the end of this month while the console versions are already out, no one knows if extra content is being released or not.