To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Friday, June 15, 2012 11:51 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] Redistributing RPG Source Books

Hi Michael,

The answer to both of your questions is simply money. Companies limit
the number of items in order to force prices up by controlling the
supply and raising the demand for those products. If they didn't do it
that way eventually they would have a large supply of products but
little to no demand for them making the value of their products
worthless. Therefore they limit the number of products that are
created and sold.

To put it another way if a company creates only 10,000 copies of a
certain product they can set whatever price they think it will sell
for. If the supply is limited and demand is high then the product will
sell for a lot more money than if the company had made 1,000,000
copies of that product. Make sense?

However, the problem is that the internet has made it possible to
share electronic media like books, movies, music, and games so that
the normal rules of supply and demand no longer apply. Without
encryption and other forms of security a person can make hundreds,
thousands, and perhaps millions of copies of the media making it
totally worthless financially.  So the companies are trying in their
own little ways to restrict access and distribution of the content so
they can control the supply and demand, but are finding that harder to
do in an e-world where there is no physical media to control.

As for the issue of cross-platform games we've been over that before,
and I can say little I haven't said already. There are technical
issues with creating cross-platform games, extra costs involved, it
takes more time and manpower, and most companies simply do not want to
invest time and money into a platform they don't think will sell as
well. If we say Windows has roughly 80% to 85% of the PC market, Mac
OS has 10%, and Linux the remaining 5% its clear that the majority of
money will be had in making a Windows game where Mac OS and Linux
would probably not return as high an investment for the company so
many choose not to do it unless there is some other incentive for
doing so.

Those who do develop cross-platform versions of games such as a
version for XBox, another for Play Station III, and another for Wii
can maximize their investment by creating platform exclusive content.
That's why a version of the game for platform x might get an expansion
pack and the version for platform y gets something else. The companies
believe if you like the game that much, want the expansions etc
enough, you'll buy both versions and play them. Its just another way
to get you to pay twice for something you already have.

Cheers!