Hi Dark,

Interesting. I just finished reading the web page you linked to below
and besides a very informative read I now understand why when
Scholastic reprinted the Harry Potter books for the U.S. market they
performed extensive rewriting of the actual text. While the British
and Americans might both speak English the fact of the matter is there
is far more differences between Britain and America than just
language. There are plenty of social and cultural issues to consider
here.

While most Americans probably wouldn't have a problem of using post
instead of mail there are British terms that would be slightly
offensive to Americans. Off the top of my head I'll take the issue of
using the toilet. Where I live we tend to indirectly say what we mean
by saying we have to go to the bathroom, we want to use the restroom,
or as my Grandma would say the lady's room. If someone were more
direct and saying they have to use the toilet many would find that a
bit crude and uncouth. My grandma would no sooner have said use the
toilet than she would have said she needed to take a crap or pee
because it would have been too direct and uncouth. Of course, this is
changing as younger Americans feel more comfortable of saying what
they mean.

That said, I found it interesting that the article you posted states
that in Britain they don't have the fundamentalist Christian groups
like we have in the U.S. The author went as far to say that most
British people would feel more comfortable about talking about their
sex life than their religion. I found it a bit funny he stated most
British people find our brand of fundamentalist  Christianity
insincere or down right nuts. Here in the U.S. that's totally the
opposite in places like the Bible Belt and running into someone with a
fundamentalist point of view is pretty common. I should know since I'm
married to one. :D

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, I do see the problem here
of Candy Land Vs. something else. To begin with a Gingerbread Cookie
in the U.S. is a small crunchy cookie in the shape of a gingerbread
man. What you chaps would call a biscuit.  From what I've managed to
read is that Candy Canes simply do not exist in Britain and seems to
be an American sweet. A Sour Patch is a round gummy sweet that is very
sweet and very sour at the same time. They tend to be very sticky when
you lick them so I guess that's why landing on one causes you to lose
a turn in the game.

Bottom line, I think what we'd have to do if we created a Candy Land
game is have a custom version for the U.K. From what I gather your
concepts of sweets is fairly different from ours with sweets we don't
have here, and sweets we have here aren't popular over there. Its no
wonder certain things like Candy Cane Forests don't make sense to you
because you don't have them.

Then again, there are a lot of things about British lifestyle and
American life style that are so different its like stepping into the
Twilight Zone or something. I remember reading about British
chocolate, how its made, and it sounds completely disgusting to me. Of
course, I've never tried it so can't comment from experience, but its
definitely different from what I'd be use to as an American.

Same goes for the British concept of hot chocolate. The author who
wrote that article you sent stated that most British people don't
drink hot chocolate with marshmallows in it. To be honest I find that
hard to believe because almost every American I know would kill you if
you left the marshmallows  out of their hot chocolate. Its as though
we aren't living in too separate countries but on two different
planets in cases like that. Lol!

Cheers!