well you can probably just set ie in internet options in the advanced / multimedia tab to not play videos at all. ofcause flash really does need to be installed if you use places like nasa since thats all imbedded video links.
youtube, and audioboo to name a few.
there is probably a way to not play flash on sertain videos.
there are options in the flash control panel in the playback option but I don't use it.