On Thu, June 2, 2011 02:27, Simon Phipps wrote:
> Someone who you knew objected to signing contributor agreements, or was
> prevented from doing so by their institution or employer, would be unable
> to comply and thus unable to participate in the governance regardless of
> their non-code or downstream contribution to OpenJDK.

BTW. I didn't assume any bad motives in this change.
I can see how making the change might have seemed just consistent.

It just raised a "community barrier" flag when I saw it.
Previously you had Participants and Contributors. Everybody could
be a Participant, but Contributors needed to jump through extra
legal hoops. For some people and/or corporations this really is
a long and awkward process. And will just result in something that
might have been a simple and pleasant interaction with the project
into a hurdle that many won't be able or want to climb. So the
simple observation really was: Please make sure that those activities,
e.g. governance, bug masters, server gnomes, infrastructure maintenance,
code reviewing, etc. basically everything that is important to make a
project tick besides code drops, which don't have a requirement
for legalese, don't have any. It will be just that extra barrier to the
project that might prevent it from growing a healthy community around it.

But lets see if the actual OCA text will reappear. What makes this
discussion somewhat abstract is the fact that we do no longer have
the actual legal text around (again, I am not assuming bad faith).

Cheers,

Mark