On Thu, June 2, 2011 10:12, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On 6/2/11 8:38 AM, Mark Wielaard wrote:
>> BTW. I didn't assume any bad motives in this change.
>
> No need to make assumptions - to quote from the draft at
> http://openjdk.java.net/groups/gb/bylaws/draft-openjdk-bylaws-09
>
> "C Change History
> [..]
> Version 8, 2011/4/15
> [..]
> Governing Board members must be Contributors, not just Participants,
> because they have write access to the BoardÂ’s web content."

Precisely. That sounds like it was just meant to be a simple change.
But the probably unintentional consequence was that there are more
legal barrier for entry. And obviously the web content is just the
board minutes, which don't need to be re-licensed to other proprietary
companies. So a heavy handed legal barrier isn't necessary here.
Nor should it be necessary for other non-code-drop activities of course.

Cheers,

Mark