On Dec 11, 2013, at 5:51 PM, mark.reinh...@oracle.com wrote:

> Governing Board Members,
>
> On behalf of Dalibor Topic I hereby propose the creation of the Adoption
> Group, with Dalibor as the initial Lead.
>
> Background on this proposal is available in the attached message and in
> Dalibor's earlier message to the discuss list [1].
>
> Only current Governing Board Members [2] are eligible to vote on this
> motion.  Votes must be cast in the open by replying to this mailing
> list.
>
> For Simple Majority voting instructions, see [3].
>
> Votes are due by 16:00 UTC on Thursday, 19 December [4].

I think this is a reasonable idea, but there are a few questions this
raises.

For example, some of the barriers to adoption may be entrenched Oracle
Java team practices.  Would the Adoption Group have support from
Oracle to overcome such barriers?  Is this intended to be a real
kick-ass group, with the top-level support it'll need to achieve
change, if change is needed?  Will it be able to say "Look guys, we
need to open this up?"  with the reasonable expectation that it'd be
listened to?

I'll support a group that can (nicely, of course) kick down doors, but
not one that'll just be a fluffy talking shop.

I'm not singling out Oracle here: all of us corporate types to
some extent have this kind of problem: we have our internal workflows,
and we'd sometimes rather be left alone.

Andrew.