On 12/17/2013 12:20 PM, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On 12/12/13 7:49 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> I think this is a reasonable idea, but there are a few questions this
>> raises.
>
> Given its agenda, I'd expect the Group to be focused on concrete
> things, whether that's making it easier for new Participants to find
> their ways around the OpenJDK community, contribute or provide
> feedback to OpenJDK Projects, etc. rather then on talk about kicking
> doors. ;)

OK, that makes sense, but it's a fairly limited ambition when compared
with the scale of the problem.  If the OpenJDK project is open and
inviting, then people will surely participate.  Java is important, and
IME many people like to work on important projects.  If they're not
participating as much as we'd like, then the lack of a group to show
people around is not, IMVHO, the most important reason.

Having said that, onboarding has been a problem ever since Java was
first freed, and anything to help with that is a good thing.

Andrew.