2013/12/17 Dalibor Topic <dalibor.to...@oracle.com>:
> On 12/12/13 7:49 PM, Andrew Haley wrote:
>> I think this is a reasonable idea, but there are a few questions this
>> raises.
>
> Given its agenda, I'd expect the Group to be focused on concrete things,
> whether that's making it easier for new Participants to find their ways
> around the OpenJDK community, contribute or provide feedback to OpenJDK
> Projects, etc. rather then on talk about kicking doors. ;)

Hi all,

The agenda has definitely one point that has to do with this topic
though and I would like to stress it out: "provide feedback to
OpenJDK", since the role of AdoptOpenJDK is not just to promote a
better reviewing tool or easy to use testing applications or do the
occasional warning hackfest, because even if those things are both
concrete and *extremely* important aspects that contribute to the
success of OpenJDK, there would be no need for a formal group if it
was "just" that.

The reason to propose a group can only be a constant exchange between
what's the feedback and issues the community has in contributing to
OpenJDK and the natural balancing that any "of us corporate types to
some extent" seek regarding their own untouchable workflow.

In other words, what I mean is that there are some things that still
need to be addressed and just having a Group won't solve by itself,
but instead of letting people push alone like it is now, the feedback
from our group should be carefully analysed by the GB and anyone who's
responsible at the end of the day to keep the Project up to the
expectation.

My hope is that with the Adoption Group this process will be slightly
smoother compared to what has been up to now, although of course
nobody is expecting that things will be magically fixed, and it will
only work if we're able to deliver quality feedback over what and why
is needed, reason why I fully share the idea that we need high quality
quarterly reports.

The same fact that you (we) are now proposing such group is to me an
indication that this is both acknowledged and sought and that times
are mature for this to start happening, and this is the reason why I
accepted to be part of it from day zero, it simply makes sense!

A final note, I believe that the road we've done together so far is
*impressive* in terms of collaboration and openness, this is really
the one extra mile still missing.

Cheers,
Mario
--
pgp key: http://subkeys.pgp.net/ PGP Key ID: 80F240CF
Fingerprint: BA39 9666 94EC 8B73 27FA  FC7C 4086 63E3 80F2 40CF

IcedRobot: www.icedrobot.org
Proud GNU Classpath developer: http://www.classpath.org/
Read About us at: http://planet.classpath.org
OpenJDK: http://openjdk.java.net/projects/caciocavallo/