On Friday 27 February 2009, Dave Korn wrote:
> Julian Brown wrote:
> > Unfortunately backtraces don't currently terminate cleanly if code
> > without unwind data is reached: CodeSourcery are currently working on
> > fixing the linker so that non-unwindable regions are marked properly,
> > which we consider essential to making this feature usable.
>
>   I don't understand this.  Sorry if I'm being slow, but isn't it just a
> matter of returning instead of calling abort when the search for the parent
> frame's FDE fails in uw_update_context (or whatever it's called, didn't
> check)?  Marking bits in the linker doesn't enable you to unwind past them
> somehow, does it?

ARM unwind tables are series of open ranges (only the start address is
specified for each region). i.e. your assumption that the search will fail is
incorrect. It will actually find the entry for the preceding function.
The new linker bits automatically add cantunwind entries for code/objects that
do not have unwind information.

Paul