The big reason the copyright assignment.  I never even bothered to
   read it, but as I don't get anything in return there's no point.
   Why should put obligaitons on myself, open myself up to even
   unlikely liabilities, just so my patches can merged into the
   official source distribution?

You are still open to liabilities for your own project, if you
incorporate code that you do not have copyright over, the original
copyright holder can still sue you.

   Another reason is the poor patch submission process.  Why e-mail a
   patch if I know, as a new contributor, there's a good chance it
   won't even be looked at by anyone?  Why would I want to go through
   I a process where I'm expected to keep begging until my patch
   finally gets someone's attention?

We are all humans, patches fall through the cracks.  Would you like to
help keeping an eye out for patches that have fallen through?  Would
anyone else like to do this?

   I also just don't need the abuse.  GCC, while not the most of
   hostile of open source projects out there, it's up there.  Manuel
   L�pez-Ib��ez's unjustified hostility towards Michael Witten in this
   thread is just a small example.

Please refer to GCC as a free software project, it was written by the
GNU project and the free software community.  Manuel might have been
rough, but it wasn't hostile.

It seems that the major complaints fall into these categories:

 - Copyright assignments

 - Complex and big project with high standards

Not much can be done to either of those, the copyright assignments are
necessary to keep GCC legally safe.  If a assignment takes a long
time, please contact either r...@gnu.org or ass...@gnu.org; if nobody
says anything then nobody knows anything.

Compilers are complex programs (specially if you support as many front
ends as GCC does), lowering the quality would be disastrous and nobody
really wants that.  The bigger the project, the longer it takes to
become accustomed to it, and not everyone has enough time to get up to
par.  This is not specific to GCC, it affects all large projects.