Quoting Mark Mitchell <m...@codesourcery.com>:

Robert Dewar wrote:

I don't think it is making this impossible, my advice is simply to
consider this fair use and steam ahead, then worry if someone objects.

Despite the copyright holder (well, RMS, but he certainly can be
interpreted as speaking for the FSF) saying plainly and clearly that he
thinks that you *cannot* do this?

Actually, the legal definition of fair use / fair dealing that might or might
not apply depends on the country of residence of the contributer, but if
RMS says you shouldn't do this, ignoring him is not proper in the context of
a GNU project - and if you are doing a fork to get away from FSF policies,
you might as well write your documentation GPLed.