Richard Kenner wrote:

But even for documentation written by hand, often I find that I'd like to
start out with some comment or example from the actual code.  The GPL / GFDL
dichotomy doesn't allow me to do that, so some documentation just won't get
written.

Taking an example from actual code would be "fair use" and not a violation
of the GPL.  I don't see a problem there.  Taking large pieces of code
in a mechanical way is completely different from the type of manual
copying you're talking about.

Not so fast - I know I got mighty suspicious of claims by non-lawyers about copyright issues by reading groklaw.net for over five years, but consider the following:

If you point your browser at:

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/g77/Table-of-Intrinsic-Functions.html#Table-of-Intrinsic-Functions

you'll see literally up to a hundred entries of documentation that were generated in the following way:

1. There is a definition file that documents the interfaces to Fortran
   run time libraries (a GPL'd file).

2. There is a program (GPL'd) that generates:

   a. texinfo documentation from them, that ultimately leads to the web
      pages you view (GPL'd - in the old days).

   b. in addition, it generates the interfaces to the Fortran run-time
      libraries (which were LGPL'd, if I recall correctly).

In this way, we were sure that the documentation of the g77 run time library was commensurate with its implementation - more than once it has saved us from expensive debugging exercises to conclude that *yes* the implementation didn't match the documentation (or the standard, if the docs deviate from the standard).

The GFDL/GPL dichotomy makes this scheme impossible.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: t...@moene.org - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/; weather: http://moene.org/~hirlam/