On 22 January 2013 14:29, Alec Teal <a.t...@warwick.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 22/01/13 14:20, Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> Nice, play the volunteer card, while not wrong that was a crap reply.
>>
>> Feel free to produce a better one.
>
> About the time Clang does because GCC now has to compete."
> How about that? Clang is currently slightly ahead and GCC really needs to
> change if it is to continue to be the best.

Crap reply, it's just wishful thinking. Who says GCC has to or will
"finish" when Clang does?  Are you going to do the missing work? Or
get someone else to?  Do you know something those of us actually
working on it don't know?  If not your answer has no value.

Having implemented large chunks of the C++11 standard library unpaid
in my spare time, for my own reasons, I'm not competing with anyone
and I'm all for Andrew pointing out there's no schedule and progress
depends on factors that can't be estimated.

A significant proportion of the people using Clang are doing so with
libstdc++ not libc++, so they're using our code anyway, how do you say
which is "best" there?