On 22/01/13 17:40, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
On 22 January 2013 17:30, Alec Teal wrote:
You totally missed the point there. Stop being Mr Defensive btw.
Stop swearing and criticising people for responses you don't like.

Bitching about the year the versions of GCC and Clang were made to try and
diffuse just one person's (potentially wrong) perception clang has better
error reports than GCC is not what I had in mind.
What makes you think I'm bitching?

My point was to draw your attention to an entire wiki page on the
subject of diagnostic comparisons, with examples and links to relevant
bug repots, to point out we're well aware of the issue and are doing
something productive about it.  Ranting about Clang's impressive
features achieves what exactly?

I really just wanted a serious discussion, it failed. I should clarify:
I define bitching to be "pointlessly diffusing statements so nothing gets done". Like the error thing "well actually that's a myth from some deep dark place where they used a really old GCC and a new Clang", silly, if GCC is better why is it not said "Clang has useless error reports!"

So how could we (you, I know I'm not ready) remedy this? Start telling people GCC doesn't do this legendary "folding" thing and keeps track of tokens (I read somewhere, I think it was an old paper by Mozilla about Treehydra and Dehydra (now dead) that GCC cannot map things back to lines of source code, then somewhere else that Clang can track stuff though macro-expansions, GCC turns "x-x" to "0" which causes a problem for static analysis - this is a good optimization but it's being done too early). Have an option where GCC outputs stuff that's verbose and easier for an Ide to parse, I understand a lot of stuff relies on the current way, why not that? Macros are good (if not over-used, there are some VILE ones out there) but debugging macro-ed code is the bane of any programmers' day.

If you are going to bitch in reply at least include some links to things worth reading that are ideally quite long and dirty, if you'd respond seriously, it'd be much welcome.

I was honestly hoping for a good "chat" about the pros and cons, what could be done about things, you know interesting stuff, not "

Stop swearing and criticising people for responses you don't like.

"
Alec.