On 30/03/2021 1:18 am, Richard Kenner wrote:
I think I will leave this discussion up to those who have more
familiarity with the guy than I do. There's no doubt that some of the
stuff Stallman has written creeps me the hell out, and I think it was
more the tone of the OP I objected to.

I mostly want to stay out of this and will leave much of this discussion to
others (though I have met RMS personally on a number of occaisions), but I
want to mostly say that I agree with Jeff that it's important that this
discussion stay civil.

I believe that to a large extent, the discussion here is reflective of a
much larger discussion in society of to what extent, if at all, an entity
associated with an person must or should take action based on things that
that person does while not associated with that entity.

It's worth noting that when RMS was kicked from FSF, there was a 2k-strong petition in favour, and a 3.5k-strong petition against. So clearly there is a discussion to be had, but as long as the left-wing (through self-rightiousness and threats of exclusion/withdrawal) and the right-wing (through belligerance and abuse/hostility) are trying actively to shut down discussion, that will not take place.