In message <560575292cchr...@care4free.net>
 on 28 Jan 2017 Chris Gransden  wrote:

> In article <eb913a0556.matt...@sinenomine.freeserve.co.uk>,
>    Matthew Phillips <spam20...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I then tried
> > ./build -d cli/gpsbabel
>
> It looks like you're running the build from the autobuilder folder which is
> why you're getting errors.
> First create a build folder in the gccsdk folder then create a file in the
> build folder called build-setvars.
> Put the following in this file. Change the path to suit where you have
> installed the autobuilder,
>
>       GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN=/home/user/gccsdk/cross/bin
>       GCCSDK_INSTALL_ENV=/home/user/gccsdk/env
>       RO_SHAREDLIBS=yes
>       AB_ELFBUILD=yes
>
> Then from within the build folder use the command,
>
> ./autobuilder/build -v gpsbabel
>
> This ensures all the autobuilder scripts and libraries are found in the
> correct place otherwise the host libraries and scripts may be used which
> can cause the errors you are getting.

Thanks for your interest, Chris. It would be good to have gpsbabel available
to download. I would like to try getting to grips with the autobuilder as
well, though, as I had a couple of other projects in mind and was trying
gpsbabel as a possibly straightforward first project to kick off the learning
process!

The rest of the message is about the latest attempt. I am still getting
similar errors after following your instructions. I'd be grateful for any
further help or ideas.

Yes, I was running the autobuilder from the wrong place. I was misled by step
5 in the "Executive summary" on
http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Autobuilder_development

I have now deleted various files and directories that were created inside
autobuilder as a consequence, such as native-zip, Sources-stable-contrib.gz
and so on.

I created ~/gccsdk/build as you instructed and the build-setvars:
GCCSDK_INSTALL_CROSSBIN=/home/matthew/gccsdk/cross/bin
GCCSDK_INSTALL_ENV=/home/matthew/gccsdk/env
RO_SHAREDLIBS=yes
AB_ELFBUILD=yes

I re-read the instructions on http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Using_GCCSDK
-- I am pretty sure I built the development gccsdk using these instructions:

$ mkdir gccsdk
$ cd gccsdk
$ svn co svn://svn.riscos.info/gccsdk/trunk/autobuilder/ autobuilder
$ svn co svn://svn.riscos.info/gccsdk/trunk/gcc4/ gcc4
$ cd gcc4
$ ./build-world

I thought this time I would just try building wget, the example given on the
http://www.riscos.info/index.php/Using_GCCSDK web page. I did

$ cd build
$ ../autobuilder/build -v wget

as instructed. As with gpsbabel the first thing it tries to do is fetch and
compile native-zip. Again, after doing the patching, make starts and we get
the same errors as before:

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/matthew/gccsdk/build/native-zip/zip30'
cc -c -I. -DUNIX -DFORRISCOS -DUIDGID_NOT_16BIT -DUNICODE_SUPPORT -DHAVE_DIRENT_
H -DHAVE_TERMIOS_H zip.c
cc -c -I. -DUNIX -DFORRISCOS -DUIDGID_NOT_16BIT -DUNICODE_SUPPORT -DHAVE_DIRENT_
H -DHAVE_TERMIOS_H zipfile.c
In file included from unix/osdep.h:31:0,
                 from tailor.h:93,
                 from zip.h:88,
                 from zip.c:16:
/home/matthew/gccsdk/cross/lib/gcc/arm-unknown-riscos/4.7.4/../../../../arm-unkn
own-riscos/include/sys/stat.h:117:1: error: redefinition of 'struct stat'
In file included from acorn/osdep.h:9:0,
                 from tailor.h:80,
                 from zip.h:88,
                 from zip.c:16:
acorn/riscos.h:30:8: note: originally defined here

etc.

Any further ideas?  I'm happy to try wiping it all and starting from scratch
with the GCC stable compiler instead, or to post any log files that might
help.

> I've got a port of 1.5.3 which successfully converted mmo to gpx and loaded
> OK into RiscOSM. I can make it available for download.

That's impressive!  We haven't seen any MMO files yet.  We came across
gpsbabel because another user has a GPS device that produces FIT files, and
there is a NetSurf-friendly online converter tool based on GPSBabel.  (The
next release of RiscOSM will handle FIT files natively.)

I thought it would be useful to have GPSBabel available on RISC OS if it
wasn't too difficult.

--
Matthew Phillips
Durham