Yes, you're right, it is a three-way association with 0-1 instances of
activity.
 From a database perspective, repository-source is an associative table -
no primary key only foreign keys. So it would be useful for performing
queries on various combinations of the foreign keys.

I think the three ids (activity, repository, source) serve to identify a
specific search. In Activity/Search, activity-id is a primary key.
Each record defines one of three possible kinds of searches:
1- source without a known repository (search for a repository?)
2- repository without a particular source in mind (search for sources?)
3- a source known to exist in a specific repository (normal search)

On the other hand, repository-source is indexed by the three ids.
If a repository has several copies of a source, then a given search
in one of those copies, would require a separate repository-source
record to store the call number, etc. If you were interested in which
copies (call-numbers) of the source you had looked at in a repository,
a query of just those repository-source records which match
repository-id and source-id would give that info.

-Stan
---
BTW, I'm a software engineer in the San Francisco bay area.
Genealogy is a side interest of mine. I have studied the gdm
spec and have an idea to represent it using UML. My background
is more in C++, OOP, and systems programming. XML is still
new to me.