Hi Catriona and all,

I have one breeding pair, and the female does have a slight bulge. Nothing compared to a male, but if she was immmature I might have my doubts. I have not looked at a lot of ciliatus, but IMHO the females do have a bulge.

Home this helps,
Melody

Catriona Lindsay wrote:

If the animal you got from me at last year's Frog Day still only has a very small bulge, it is definitely female! Congrats!!! Of course, if it is really a male and being dominated by your other male, I suppose it could have it's development arrested. Two males would likely get along OK if there was no female present. It's most likely a female, though. See... I'm just as confused as you!!!

Hm! This is a decent size bulge, but not like my other male. When the other male was 6-8 months old he developed his bulge overnight and it was obvious. This little girl (?) has a definate bulge but it not as big as the males. I have thought about the other male dominating this one so that it does not mature properly. Well I will see if the pair is still available and compare the females. If I am still not sure she might come and visit at Frog Day so you and Julie can take a peek and tell me what you think. ;>
Catriona