On Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Andreas Hansson via gem5-dev wrote:

Hi all,

I strongly suggest to not go beyond 2.6 at the moment. All Ubuntu 12.04 machines and RHE6 machines have 2.6 as their default, and that matches with our previous assumptions also regarding gcc etc.

I agree with Steve that we can consider a move to 2.7, but it should be for stronger reasons that saving a few lines of code.

I suggest we revert the change for now.

I want to keep the changeset for a little while and see if users complain about it. The versions of Linux you mention are going to be around for a significant amount of time, so I do not want to base my decision on their lifetime. If any organization is internally using those Linux and it is hard for the users to move to python 2.7, then we should revert the changeset immediately. Otherwise, I prefer waiting for the first user complaint.

--
Nilay