Hi All,

I have been trying to start work with gem5 Full-System simulation (my
intent is to run multiple workloads in parallel and observe interference
effects along with some OS behavior for these parallel workloads).

I boot into the simulation using the atomic CPU model with a runtime script
who's goal is simply to checkpoint the system, and then run a primitive
benchmark a couple times--running "ls" in the home directory (I have
attached a text file with the script text).

This works with the atomic CPU model, and it also does work when the system
being checkpointed and restored is a single-core system. Problems arise
with multi-core systems which generally crash almost-immediately upon
restore. I have two kernels that I use for this simulation--a 3.4.112 Linux
kernel, and the 2. provided on the gem5 resources website.

With the newer kernel, the crash is a "soft crash" (usually in the middle
of a print statement) where the simulation hangs without either generating
m5 output files or trace-back information (at-least not that I can find--I
am not certain how to debug this more effectively, as I don't know what
cycle-range to look at).

I have attached the LibC backtrace for the older kernel for reference (I
have had little success figuring it out).

I apologize if this is the wrong mailing list for this type of question.

Thank you in advance,
Stefan Waczynski