Hi all,

I am a new contributor to Wikipedia and read Larry's blog post and the 
subsequent discussion on this list with great interest. 

My first thought was that this indeed is a red herring in terms of addressing 
the gendergap, however in my limited editing experience I do at times feel like 
Wikipedia is a boys' club, and perhaps the prevalence of pornography goes some 
way to an imagining of what is hanging on the clubhouse walls. Although not 
apparent in the course of normal browsing and editing (I've yet to stumble on 
anything particularly offensive), it may contribute to the culture which has 
resulted in a such a participation skew between genders.

I do think it is worth further exploring the idea of the "techno-libertarians" 
who dominate policy-making as being young males without children. I know that 
my views on any number of things has changed since I have had children of my 
own - as my ability to donate time to discussing such issues! 

Kind regards,
Kim

Kim Osman │ Research Student
ARC Centre of Excellence for Creative Industries and Innovation
Queensland University of Technology
Z1 - 515 Musk Avenue│KelvinGrove   Qld   4059
T: +61 7 3138 3687 │ F: +61 7 3138 3723 │ E: [email protected]│ W: 
http://cci.edu.au


CRICOS No: 00213J
________________________________________

_______________________________________________
Gendergap mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/gendergap

Reply via email to