Hi Yuvaraj,
Sounds like you've got things configured correctly now. Pretty much all the
VS Code extensions rely on the user to set various parameters in User
Settings. The default settings give you an idea of what settings are
available. If you want to override them you add an entry to your personal
User Settings file as you did.

Given there is no standardised path in which to install J and some users
will have multiple installations of J on their computer, setting the
correct path automatically at install time would not be trivial. The
extension could potentially try to search for the available J installations
and ask you which one to use, but that sounds like a lot of work to save
very little effort for the user. Hopefully the install instructions for the
extension will point most users in the right direction. If you have some
suggestions on how to improve them, let me know!

Hope you are enjoying the new functionality.
Cheers,