Adam Jack wrote:
We should probably use a template engine. I'm sure there's a python
equivalent for something like velocity (or smarty).

First, I like the dynamic 'tree of nodes' based approach to writing HTML/XML, rather than template

I like merging the concepts. Once you've built the tree, flatten the part of it that will make up the page, and feed that to the template engine. Even if you don't use a template engine, seperate the flattening and splitting from the transformation step.

This is different from stuff like anakia, where the template walks the tree directly (bad).

-- in the main because of pleasant
experiences with the Perl modules for this in the past. That said, even
though there are some huge fields here (build output logs)

hehehe. Look here:

http://www.cheetahtemplate.org/docs/users_guide_html_multipage/language.constructs.html

this is what things like #include are for!

maybe a template
mechanism is enough for the simple structure (results tables, lists, etc.)
that we have. We have huge pages, with options missing (or not) based off
content. I'm not sure any template could cope with that, but I am open
minded to it.

The biggest ISP in the Netherlands with the biggest content portal in the Netherlands uses a template engine as a core part of their view layer (but don't tell 'em ;) :D. At least they used to...

Second, I didn't realize that Python DOM had nice serialization mechanism.
Maybe I should've used that from the start.

No idea what you're talking about :D

Now Gump generates it's xdocs using an object tree structure. Watching the
python memory grow from 20M (after loading all XML) to 136M (during
generating these pages) it has some sort of leak (actual or effective)

ouch! Maybe it would pay off to use pipelining (you know, SAX, stuff) instead of DOM to generate the object tree.

Fixing this area is clearly important, and I'd appreciate all insights...

No insights here, just babbling along ;)

--
cheers,

- Leo Simons