Adam Jack wrote:
Forrest uses cocoon  (http://cocoon.apache.org/2.0/)
Which is a servlet that does xml pipelines
XML -> transform -> transform --> xml (or whatever) out.
Along with caching all kinds of other cool stuff.
That is what you get when you use the "forrest run"  command

Because many, many of our pages are never visited this might actually
reduce the computational load.

Yup, seems highly likely. It also means that if Forrest barfs on a certain page we still get access to the other pages.

Forrest can use simple HTML if you save it as *.ihtml

My suggestion would be to generate a Forrest usable site with ihtml pages using cheetah, and then publish it so that a dynamic Forrest can show it nicely skinned.

This way we get the best of all:

1 - use templates
2 - can see pages without running Forrest
3 - don't even need to run static Forrest

            - verba volant, scripta manent -