Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce that Apache Hadoop 3.0.0 is generally available
(GA).

3.0.0 GA consists of 302 bug fixes, improvements, and other enhancements
since 3.0.0-beta1. This release marks a point of quality and stability for
the 3.0.0 release line, and users of earlier 3.0.0-alpha and -beta releases
are encouraged to upgrade.

Looking back, 3.0.0 GA is the culmination of over a year of work on the
3.0.0 line, starting with 3.0.0-alpha1 which was released in September
2016. Altogether, 3.0.0 incorporates 6,242 changes since 2.7.0.

Users are encouraged to read the overview of major changes
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0/index.html> in 3.0.0. The GA release
notes
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/release/3.0.0/RELEASENOTES.3.0.0.html>
 and changelog
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-common/release/3.0.0/CHANGES.3.0.0.html>
detail
the changes since 3.0.0-beta1.

The ASF press release provides additional color and highlights some of the
major features:

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/12/14/1261879/0/en/The-Apache-Software-Foundation-Announces-Apache-Hadoop-v3-0-0-General-Availability.html

Let me end by thanking the many, many contributors who helped with this
release line. We've only had three major releases in Hadoop's 10 year
history, and this is our biggest major release ever. It's an incredible
accomplishment for our community, and I'm proud to have worked with all of
you.

Best,
Andrew