On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 22:29 +0100, Endre Stølsvik wrote:
> Upayavira wrote:
> > Justin put it very well in a related thread elsewhere (permission
> > sought):
>
> [ CHOP interesting adamant view from Justin ]
> (Where is "elsewhere", btw?)

Apache has a number of "internal" lists on which members communicate
amongst themselves regarding the organisation and operation of the
Foundation.

> What I find strange in all this is the view that ALL projects at Apache
> would have to change to OtherSCM if one project would want that..

(a) we couldn't manage it otherwise, purely in terms of volunteer time
(b) we would have a disjoint set of the Foundation's core asset, which
might be acceptable temporarily, but would not as an ongoing situation.

> Indeed, I find the decision to use one single SVN repo for the entire
> organization's source pretty strange. I'd believe that one repo for
> every TLP, for example, would be great (AFAIK, TLP-promotion can be
> handled too with history preserved). This would help in every single
> aspect in regard to the volume of source and activity, could use
> multiple servers etc - and incidentally using another SCM for a
> particular project wouldn't be that big a deal anymore. The only
> downside I see is a slight bit more configuration management, and that
> copying/moving a file from one repo to another would not keep history
> that well. How often does this happen, though?
>    However, I'm no SVN expert, so I can easily have misunderstood
> everything.

The thing is, that we're working with an order of magnitude more
complexity here. Setting up a wiki, you'd think that was  relatively
simple task. However, once we'd set up MoinMoin wiki, we found it
couldn't handle the traffic, and entered upon a 2 month hacking bonanza
to get some kind of caching in front of it so that it would actually
stay up and respond in reasonable time. And that was only one of the
issues. We had similar issues in the early days of SVN, and we would hve
similar issues in the early days of _any_ new piece of technology that
is introduced here. That is why infra folks are resistant - they have,
by direct experience, knowledge of what it is like to change this kind
of stuff.

HTH.

Upayavira