A code base is not required, but highly recommended. It is hard to
bootstrap a community from scratch. Having something readily available
makes a project more tangible, and can attract more contributors with
more ease. Conversely, a too mature codebase can be a hindrance to a
project as well, where no new features need to be developed, or the
code is too large to comprehend.

That said, I think there were a couple of projects that came to the
incubator without code, IIRC Photark is one of them.

Martijn

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Noah Slater<nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am thinking about making an incubation proposal for a project I've been
> wanting to do for a while now. I have list of initial committers and a
> technical
> architecture proposal, but no actual code yet.
>
>  Moreover, in order to provide a seed to grow and ground discussions on
>  technical levels, the ASF incubation rules require the podlings to join the
>  incubation process with an established and working codebase.
>
>                                            -
> http://labs.apache.org/bylaws.html
>
> I checked the incubation rules, but couldn't find any mention of this rule.
> Our
> hopes were that we could start from scratch as a podling, and grow the code
> along with the community. Is this going to be possible?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --

Apache Wicket 1.4 increases type safety for web applications
Get it now: http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/wicket/1.4.0