On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 11:01:01AM +0200, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 7:55 AM, Noah Slater<nsla...@apache.org> wrote:
> > ...I am thinking about making an incubation proposal for a project I've been
> > wanting to do for a while now. I have list of initial committers and a
> > technical
> > architecture proposal, but no actual code yet....
>
> I would oppose to a podling with no code base and no @apache.org names
> in the list of initial committers - the chances of morphing that into
> a working Apache project would seem to slim to me.

I'm a PMC member for Apache CouchDB, a top-level project.

My positive experience with CouchDB is the primary reason I am considering doing
this project with the ASF. I think a focus on community is of paramount
importance, and something that the ASF offers above and beyond other potential
parent organisations.

> Now, if your team includes a few people with a good track record in
> open source projects, starting without code might work.

I'm also a Debian maintainer:

  http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=nslater%40bytesexual.org

  http://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=nslater%40tumbolia.org

Our other committers have been similarly involved in open source projects.

> I haven't looked up our docs about this, just trying to apply common sense.

Sure.

Thanks,