Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com> wrote on 06/02/2011 09:12:10 AM:

> From: Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
> To: general@incubator.apache.org
> Date: 06/02/2011 09:12 AM
> Subject: Re: OpenOffice and the ASF
>
> On 2 June 2011 14:04, Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > > Should we add ourselfs as commiters?
> >
> > If you would like to contribute here (possibly instead of, or in
> > addition, to your work at TDF), then yes! Please add yourself into the
> > proposal on the wiki.
> >

> I'm not likely to commit code. I run an accredited awarding organisation
> with permission from Oracle to use the OOo name on certificates as part
of
> the certification project. We have definite interest from training
companies
> and certification will help in the marketing process and could fund
> developers. So my question is where will we stand if the OOo trademarks
are
> transferred to Apache?

Hi Ian,

A similar question came up yesterday.  Apache trademark policy is here:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/

IANAL, but I suspect it will be critical whether the use is like:

"OpenOffice Certified Professional"

versus

"Foo Certification for OpenOffice".

In other words, does the certificate imply (or has the likelihood of
confusing the reader to believe) that the endorsement comes from Apache?

In any case, when Apache OpenOffice becomes an official project, there
will be people you can contact to review/get approval for use of the
trademark, within per the policy. But I don't think we can guarantee that
no adjustments will be needed.

BTW, the committers list on the wiki is not just for C++ programmers.  If
you think you'll be contributing other project assets, whether in-product
help, tutorials, test cases, translations, etc., that is all within the
role of a committer.

Regards,

-Rob