I've been wondering if there is a division of labor that works for the short
term while community-spanning work continues:

 1. I'm thinking that it is important to recognize that LibreOffice has some
remarkable momentum.  There is a great deal they are on top of or are getting
on top of, including all of the localizations, the user documentation, user
feedback and requests as well as bug reports, and a development community that
is charging ahead.  The rebranding is going to be completed before the Apache
Incubator will barely have sleeves to roll up.  I'm thinking it would be good
to leave them to it, with any tighter coupling to be worked out as there is
experience over matters of common interest.

 2. I see something, already mentioned, that the Adobe Incubator can claim as
its initial territory:  production of a reference implementation of a native
OpenDocument Format processor along with component libraries and tooling.  The
idea is to have, starting from the contributed OpenOffice.org code base, a
running, narrated framework  for customization and delivery of polished
products such as LibreOffice.  There are a number of areas, some of them rather
large, that the Apache incubator could carve out, such as providing a reference
implementation and test suites for the OpenFormula component of ODF 1.2.  I'm
sure many others will come to mind.  I think LibreOffice would take a stake in
such work, as would other producers of ODF-supporting products.  The reference
implementation could also provide some missing calibration on the extent to
which ODF is supported and what the typical omissions and deviations are (and
ways to be transparent about them).

 - Dennis

PS: Personal side notes: I don't care if it is called OpenOffice.org or not.
Maybe not is a better answer.  I am also a fan of the vibrancy and vitality
seen in the way that LibreOffice appeals to a wide variety of contributors,
especially those with a focus on overcoming defects and limitations that users
have observed personally and bring to LibreOffice for clarification or relief.
I didn't sense that with OpenOffice.org.  I may have simply been looking in the
wrong place, but it is clear that is being provided for LibreOffice.  I want to
encourage that.  I fancy the some-kind-of-green-color branding too.  And
installs that don't evangelize somebody else's browser or toolbar or virtual
system run-time.
  I also worry a little that the pace of weekly beta  and release-candidates
risks serious regression failures and is not sustainable as a practical matter.
 I trust they'll adjust that in time as they rush toward whatever the vision
for LibreOffice 4.0 happens to be.