On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:
> One thing I would like to be bantered about:
>
> Long ago, it was customary to have a single mentor for a podling.
> Nowadays, the feelings are the more, the merrier.
>
> Has the above been an experiment which succeeded, failed or is moot?
> Justify your decision.

A problem with multiple mentors is that with no single person
responsible its too easy for no one to do any mentoring because they
all leave the work for the others to do. The recent change to the
Champion role (what happened with that?) was an attempt to help fix
that.

A problem with less than three active mentors is that it can sometimes
be hard to get three release votes. Even with three mentors there are
lots of examples where things like releases are not being taught or
vetted. Making an ASF release really isn't that hard but we still
often get RC votes on general@ with quite basic licensing flaws which
makes you wonder if the mentors have done anything at all to help the
poddling learn how to make a release.

Presently I'd probably lean towards a single mentor being better and
to find some better way of poddlings learning release requirements and
then more quickly getting their own binding votes.

   ...ant