Le 5/15/12 10:34 AM, Christian Grobmeier a écrit :
Can you please let me know which license XPP uses? I could not find
informatino in NOTICE and did not find a website which helped me. its
necessary to clarify that as xpp3 is in the war file release. Once you told
me, I will give my +1
Clearly missing in the N&L files.
OK. Guess this should be fixed with a new attempt then.

Will do ASAP - guess we are trying to beat some record at Syncope: I know
that Flex made it in seven attempts, we are approaching... ;-)

Jokes apart, we are talking here about XPP3, a transitive dependency of
XStream which is instead a declared dependency of Syncope (core).
We honestly did not consider at all such dependencies in L&N files, and
there are quite some: what's the best practice for such cases? I see no
option but using the maven dependency plugin in order to find all transitive
dependencies and update L&N files consequently.

Is this correct? Basically, I feel this like breaking the Maven dependency
resolution...
I must admit I'm a bit puzzled.

IMO, the L&N files should only contain the required licenses and notice for
deps we are explicitely declaring in the poms, as they are part of the
build. The fact that the built wars include transitive dependencies is a
by-product of the build. In other words, if a 3rd party we include itself
depends on some other libs, then it's this 3rd party L&N files to
explicitely include the required L&N, not ours.
When you put a war file on /dist containing that jar file, you are
releasing it. Imho it does not matter if it is transitive or what else
- at least it must be AL compatible. Others may correct me, but i
think this must be cared of.
The point is that we don't vote binaries, we vote sources. Generated binaries are just by-products of the build.

That we distribute binaries is just for convenience.

Now, I do think that we should include into the N&L files the licenses for 3rd parties we *directly* include, but not those that are transivitely included. I may be wrong though. I understand your position, too.

It may be worthful to ask beside this thread what is the correct way to refer those transitive dependencies...

So XPP is not included by us, and should not be added in the N&L, as I
initially (wrongly) thought.
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
"All the licenses on all the files to be included within a package
should be included in the LICENSE document. "
But as soon as we include the deps' licenses we include, even if they themselves include some 3rd party licenses, my understanding is that they already have done the job...

It says to me, it does not matter who depends on what, it does only
matter whats inside your war.

Btw, I am still unsure which license XPP has. This is worse, because:
http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts
"Again, these artifacts may be distributed only if they contain
LICENSE and NOTICE files"

See on http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/dist/java-repository/xpp3/distributions/, unzip the http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/dist/java-repository/xpp3/distributions/xpp3-1.1.4c_src.tgz tarball and check the included license.

"Indiana University Extreme! Lab Software License

Version 1.1.1

Copyright (c) 2002 Extreme! Lab, Indiana University. All rights reserved.

modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice,
   this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
   notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in
   the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. The end-user documentation included with the redistribution, if any,
   must include the following acknowledgment:

  "This product includes software developed by the Indiana University
  Extreme! Lab (http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/)."

Alternately, this acknowledgment may appear in the software itself,
if and wherever such third-party acknowledgments normally appear.

4. The names "Indiana Univeristy" and "Indiana Univeristy Extreme! Lab"
must not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this
software without prior written permission. For written permission,
please contact http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/.

5. Products derived from this software may not use "Indiana Univeristy"
name nor may "Indiana Univeristy" appear in their name, without prior
written permission of the Indiana University."

--
Regards,
Cordialement,