> The point is that we don't vote binaries, we vote sources. Generated
> binaries are just by-products of the build.
>
> That we distribute binaries is just for convenience.

which does not change anything imho

> Now, I do think that we should include into the N&L files the licenses for
> 3rd parties we *directly* include, but not those that are transivitely
> included. I may be wrong though. I understand your position, too.
>
> It may be worthful to ask beside this thread what is the correct way to
> refer those transitive dependencies...

+1

Did not know there were other positions actually.

>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#best-practice-license
>> "All the licenses on all the files to be included within a package
>> should be included in the LICENSE document. "
>
> But as soon as we include the deps' licenses we include, even if they
> themselves include some 3rd party licenses, my understanding is that they
> already have done the job...

If they did it it. I have not opened all the files to be honest, but
is this something we can rely on (that they have done their job
proberly)?

>> It says to me, it does not matter who depends on what, it does only
>> matter whats inside your war.
>>
>> Btw, I am still unsure which license XPP has. This is worse, because:
>> http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#distribute-other-artifacts
>> "Again, these artifacts may be distributed only if they contain
>> LICENSE and NOTICE files"
>

> See on
> http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/dist/java-repository/xpp3/distributions/,
> unzip the
> http://www.extreme.indiana.edu/dist/java-repository/xpp3/distributions/xpp3-1.1.4c_src.tgz
> tarball and check the included license.

Thanks! I opened the jar from the Syncope war, there was no info included.

Is that compatible? "Indiana University Extreme! Lab Software License"
I think its fine, but I am not very good with that boring stuff:
http://apache.org/legal/3party.html

Btw, this phrase is interesting:
"Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice"

This includes the provided war file. There is no copyright notice of
XPP and my guess is the license holders are not interested if we are
having it as transitive lib or not.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de