On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Christian Grobmeier
<grobme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have heard a few people say they "just want to mentor, without the rules
> discussion crap" (see ml). Thats perfectly OK. But what do we need them on
> the IPMC?

One of the chief responsibilities for a Mentor is performing oversight of the
podling's code base on behalf of the foundation.  Until a podling graduates
and gets a resolution passed by the Board establishing a PMC, it is the _IPMC_
which is responsible for legal oversight of the code base.

A podling needs people who teach the social aspects of the Apache Way, but we
assume that the IPMC members we assign as Mentors are doing that in addition
to performing their legal role.  Contributions by non-IPMC members are
welcome, but giving such people the title of "Mentor" only corrupts our
accounting mechanisms and makes it harder to detect when the Incubator is
failing to provide legal oversight of a code base for which it has assumed
responsibility.

> I believe we can give them binding votes without being on the IPMC.

Efforts to keep the IPMC pure and exclusive cause only harm.

Marvin Humphrey