[Note subject line change for Benson]

Hi Ross,

-----Original Message-----
From: Ross Gardler <rgard...@opendirective.com>
Date: Friday, March 29, 2013 3:09 AM
To: general <general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Vote on personal matters: majority vote vs consensus

>We clearly differ with our view if how much is delegated from board to
>IPMC. The amount of work the board does on x podlings weach month is less
>than the work they do on x TLPs.

Yeah I guess this is the crux.

I respect your opinion, but honestly feel strongly for my own too :)
No worries, such is life.

>That is without the IPMC addressing issues
>that come up every now and again. We can go into detail if it becomes
>necessary.

Well yeah that's the point. I've gone into details, ad nauseum. They are
literally extrapolated on my proposal and in numerous email threads too.
I've done the work to document them.

>There are problems of efficiency, that is what I believe is the problem.
>But as I said we need to agree to differ at this time.

Without knowing the specifics, saying that we differ I don't think is
Constructive at least on my end. IOW, I don't think it's anything that a
bar camp, with some
good IPA wouldn't solve ^_^

>Where I differ from you is that not when  each podling had 3 active and
>engaged mentors, all would be good in those cases. That is rarely the case
>though.

Ross, if it's rarely the case, I wouldn't be here helping 6 podlings at
the moment in the Incubator (and those podlings wouldn't have all come to
me
asking me directly to help mentor). I'm talking about 14 podlings over
the last few years. Here you go I'll enumerate:

---graduated
OODT
Airavata
SIS
Gora
Lucy
Giraph

cTAKES
Any23

---current
HDT
Mesos
Tez
Knox
Climate
Tajo

>Therefore your proposal means either a reduction in the number of
>accepted projects (problem: how do we know which to accept),
> a reduction in
>the quality of TLPs (problem: reduction in perceived quality of all ASF
>brands), or a bigger oversight role for the board (problem: will the board
>accept this?)

The above is anecdotal -- the board has scaled from 90 projects a few
years ago to
137 currently over that time. Based on that, I don't think any of the 3
above
suggestions will happen.

Cheers,
Chris

>For me the first option is the only outcome that can be considered. If
>that
>is a desired change (it is not for me) then your proposal is great. For
>now
>though the change I want is a more efficient IPMC and this is why we need
>to agree to differ at least until more of the IPMC have a stomach for
>radical change.
>
>Ross
>
>Sent from a mobile device, please excuse mistakes and brevity
>On 29 Mar 2013 01:49, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <
>chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
>
>> Hey Ross,

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist