Hi Dave,

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Date: Thursday, March 28, 2013 3:38 PM
To: "general@incubator.apache.org" <general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Vote on personal matters: majority vote vs consensus

>On Mar 28, 2013, at 9:19 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>
>> Hey Ross,

>>> legally

>>> My point is that all the oversight currently provided by the IPMC would
>>> have to be provided by the board. We already know that having three
>>> mentors
>>> does not guarantee adequate support for podlings.
>>
>> I guess I would ask "what oversight"? There is no global IPMC oversight.
>> Ever since Joe's experiment, and even before, the podlings that get
>>through
>> the Incubator (and I've taken quite a few now, and recently, so I think
>> can speak from a position of experience here within the last few years),
>> are the ones that have active mentors and *distributed*, not
>>*centralized*
>> oversight.
>>
>> IOW, I'm not seeing any IPMC oversight at the moment. I'm seeing good
>> mentors,
>> located in each podling, distributed, that get podlings through. Those
>>that
>> stall well they need help. Usually the help is debated endlessly, and
>>not
>> solved,
>> or simply solved with more active/better mentors.
>
>My experience as a shepherd shows that you can in fact recognize podling
>issues and eventually get them to the point where graduation of one kind
>or another happens. Two examples:
>
>EasyAnt graduating to Apache Ant.
>
>Etch finally graduated with a small, but sufficient PMC.

I wasn't stating that you can't do this :)

In fact, you are precisely the example of what I'm talking about when I
say,
'good' mentors. You actively volunteered for a new system created by
Jukka,
to care about other podlings and sign off on their reports, and monitor
them.
Awesome sauce. Great job.

OTOH, I've *never* volunteered to be a shepherd, b/c honestly I think it's
an additional name/responsibility that's fairly meaningless. I've been
signing
off on other podling reports that I see for years. As have other mentors,
Joe S
used to do that -- Ant and Alex and others have done that too. Even before
there
was a name, 'shepherd' for this.

>> So, that's my whole point. You either agree with me that there is no
>>IPMC
>> oversight at the moment (for years now), and that really podlings are
>>TLPs
>> (well the ones that graduate within a fixed set of time as Sam was
>>trying
>> to measure
>> before, or simply point out that is) or you still believe that there is
>> oversight
>> within the IPMC.
>
>I don't think it is an either / or. The current amount of oversight for
>any podling is a function of mentors, current IPMC dynamics, and real
>life influences.
>
>The shepherds serve a purpose as more of a divining rod into that
>dynamic, many solutions are possible, and the podling needs to be pushed
>into making choices.

Sure, I agree with that.

And rather than generically stating there are choices, and we have many to
choose amongst,
I've actually written my thoughts down about a choice, a series of
observations, a proposed
solution and deconstruction of the Incubator.

Cheers,
Chris