As I see it, the incubator as we have it is a mechanism for coping
with the lack of mentor commitment. As Ross often writes, it's easy to
say that Mentors *should* make this commitment, but mentors are
volunteers, and things happen. Upayavira wonders if Mentor 'harvest
glory' and then wander away. I think it's more likely that they do the
best they can, given the constraints of their lives.

If three members showed up and were willing to state the necessary
level of commitment to a new project to be a TLP, sure, let them be a
TLP instantly. But if that's the standard for starting a new project
at Apache, I predict that we'll start very few new projects.

This leads me to a question back to Greg: what do you want to do if a
new project has troubles: a Mentor has a kid, or a new job, or
whatever? Shut it down? I'd suspect that you'd hope to recruit a
replacement, but that's a messy procedure for the board to be stuck
with.

I end up thinking that this looks like a _reductio_ argument that
leads back to the IPMC.

How about the following more incremental experiment: we do what
Upayavira says: we set a higher bar for mentors at podling start time.
We ask them to make a public statement of commitment that for some
period of time (six months) they commit to thinking of themselves _as
a PMC_, not just as some sort of diffuse advisors or coaches. I expect
that this will make it harder to start podlings, and I think that this
constraint would reflect reality. Such a group could then graduate as
soon as it picked up a few more PMC members and did a release. If we
stick to this, maybe the IPMC will wither away, or just shrink to a
smaller group. I think that this experiment comes before Greg's, as we
should see if anyone will make this claim, and whether they live up to
it, before we launch such a group into the exosphere of pure board
supervision. Ultimately, this might mean that we retire the word
'mentor' and replace it with, well, 'PMC member'.