Hi,

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 1:42 PM, Benson Margulies <bimargul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...How about the following more incremental experiment: we do what
> Upayavira says: we set a higher bar for mentors at podling start time.
> We ask them to make a public statement of commitment that for some
> period of time (six months) they commit to thinking of themselves _as
> a PMC_, not just as some sort of diffuse advisors or coaches...

I like that - I'd say 3 months for the initial commitment, and ask
mentors to indicate in the project proposal how many hours per week
they think they can dedicate to the task.

And also make sure each podling has a champion who agrees to fulfill
the "during incubation" role listed at
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Roles_and_Responsibilities.html#Champion

So far we tried to make sure sufficient mentor power is available by
having 2 to 3 mentors with vague requirements - with this new model a
champion and a mentor can be sufficient if they are clearly engaged
and available, and if the champion raises alarms if that's not the
case anymore.

-Bertrand