On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) <
chris.a.mattm...@jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:

> Hi Niall,
>
> First off, thanks for reading my proposal!
>
> Specific comments below:

If you, if you can please cite examples that would be great. I have counter
> examples (Mesos, for one) wherein which emails requesting help have gone
> unanswered, but if you have others in support of that, I'd appreciate
> hearing
> them.

The issue with Mesos mentors was raised by a shepherd - it did result in
one new mentor for a short while. Then when that persons stepped down, you
volunteered. I agree its still an issue for Mesos - so hasn't been
successfully resolved. What I do see on a regular basis is shepherds
reporting back on mentor status as part of the oversight role. I would be
surprised if the board wanted to do this work.

> >Also in your proposal oversight of releases is discarded and therefore I
> >would add "spots problems with releases" is also therefore ultimately the
> >boards responsibility.
>
> My philosophy is that there can remain a small set of mentors, e.g., these
> "shepherds" if you will that ought to volunteer for projects as they come
> into the ASF and be part of their initial PMC. The initial "Champion" role
> should also be an ASF member, until the incoming project is ready to elect
> its own chair (should happen in < 1 year).
>
> These same people are likely going to be the same people who are great at
> checking releases now (sebb, Marvin, others). There doesn't need to be an
> IPMC for them to do that.

Actually there does. PMC's are responsible for releases - they do the
checks AND vote as part of the IPMC - so its an IPMC release. Take away
their PMC role and the checks alone are just an opinion with no power to
approve or not. I'm not necessarily opposed to that (haven't given it
thought)  - but if the project is given responsibility for releases - then
the board will have to take ultimate responsibility for catching &
resolving issues.

> >Jukka & now Benson have IMO been successful in focusing podlings on what
> >they need to do to graduate and pushing them through the process - rather
> >than staying for years in the incubator. So I would add this to the list
> >of
> >what the board would need to pick up.
>
> Well sorry, I don't think it's Jukka and Benson. I've never been a
> shepherd
> once, neither has Chris Douglas, neither has a bunch of people that have
> successfully brought podlings through the Incubator as of late.
>
> Jukka and Benson aren't necessarily the only reasons that things shaped up
> around here though I wholly appreciate their efforts.

Apologies - I didn't mean to diminish anyone elses efforts.

> >Lastly I would also say that shifting voting on new projects from a public
> >to private list is not an improvement and would exclude those proposing
> >from answering any objections or concerns.
>
> Yes, I am +1 for that. In my proposal, I've gone and updated it to shift
> that responsibility to voting on general@incubator (which as I mention
> in my proposal will remain).

OK, so I guess that net effect is ASF members not on IPMC now get binding
vote and IPMC members that are not ASF members no longer get a binding
vote. Seems that this is removing people that earned it by merit and adding
people that never had an interest in incubator.